Skip to main content

Joan and Bertolt and the Distance of Cancer

I woke up this morning to learn that an old friend and mentor died of Cancer yesterday. I don’t know what kind of Cancer she had, but it seems to have progressed rather quickly and painfully. While Joan is certainly not the first person I have known to die from Cancer, she is the first person to do so while I’m in the process of surviving Cancer, so it’s a little more personal. There is no comfort to be gained from distance. In fact, there is no distance.

Please don’t misunderstand. I require no reassurances. While the Chemo can make me feel like death, I have little concern that mine is imminent. In no way do I feel like Joan’s dying has brought me face-to-face with my own mortality. I’m not being brave; I’m simply responding to the positive PET scan results, the words of my Doctor and the nature of my particular brand of Lymphoma. For someone who spends their days immersed in make-believe worlds, I've the soul of an empiricist. (Irony acknowledged.)

I’m not sure how to describe my reaction to the news of Joan dying. There is certainly the rolodex of memory, as one would expect. She was my teacher, then she was my friend. We traveled to Bali together… twice. I am thinking of the lessons she taught me, and the experiences we shared, but there is an added dimension. It’s not so much “there but for the grace of G-d…,” rather it is a sense of reflection where I would expect sadness.

It is true what I said above, “there is no distance.” Cancer and I sleep in the same bed, we wear the same clothes and eat the same food. Our Facebook status is “in a relationship.” I guess I’m a monogamist, though, and while I’m in a relationship with Cancer I don’t really have the energy for anyone else’s relationship with Cancer. I hope that doesn’t sound callous; it’s certainly not a calculated response. I love Joan, and wish that I had a chance to sit and talk with her one last time.

As I write this, I am reminded of Bertolt Brecht, one of my favorite theatre practitioners, probably best known as the playwright of The Threepenny Opera and Mother Courage and Her Children. He took ideas first advanced by the director Erwin Piscator and developed an approach to theatre commonly known as the Alienation Effect. The idea was revolutionary because it ran counter to Aristotle’s notion of catharsis, wherein an audience’s emotional investment in art precipitates a renewal in response. Brecht eschewed emotional manipulation, and preferred his audiences to acknowledge the artifice of theatre. He didn’t want audiences to suspend their disbelief, he wanted them to see the world as it really was. Brecht saw the psychological realism championed by Stanislavsky and early-20th century American dramatists, as escapist, and he sought something more akin to analytical understanding. He wanted to engender an emotional distance between his audience and his art. So, I think that’s what’s going on with me and Joan’s death… the Alienation Effect.

I beg your indulgence with the unexpected turn. A lecture on Theatre History and philosophy is not where I saw things going when I started writing about my friend. I think she’d be pleased, though. She made theatre that made people think, and if I’m thinking about her through a theatrical lens, I can’t imagine she’d object. One day, I’m sure I’ll take the time to jot down some memories, lessons and laughs that we two shared. She even yelled at me a time, or two, which I undoubtedly deserved. For now, I don’t have the space. With no premeditation or agenda, and with no lessening of my affection and admiration, I will maintain distance even within my proximity to Joan and her disease.



Comments

  1. So very sorrow to hear of the loss of your friend. May Joan's memory be for a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell the Mouse to Bring Me Some Juice

So, the other day Shawnna and I were getting ready for bed, standing shoulder-to-shoulder in the bathroom, worshipping before the great American altar that is a porcelain double vanity, and performing our respective evening ablutions. We became synchronous, unconsciously so, but synchronous nonetheless. She had her handful of nighttime pills and was popping them one at a time. I was doubling and tripling mine in random combinations. I have more than she, so we were still keeping time… like a couple of pharmacological Art Blakeys. An epiphanic clarity came over me; a clarity so palpable that I had no choice but to give it voice, “This is a stupid fucking ritual.”  Tomorrow is gonna be a long week. At 8:20 I have a CT of my abdomen and pelvis with contrast . I think “with contrast” is when they shoot you full of radioactive fizzy water that makes it feel like you’re peeing in your pants when you’re really not. At 10:00, I have labs. Since I still have my central line port, this is relati

Everything Up to Today, or how John Cougar Mellencamp gave me Cancer

Everything Up to Today Thursday, September 16, 2021 – Night I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. It wasn’t the kind of uncomfortable that could be fixed by the fluffing of pillows. I wasn’t in pain. Pain would have been more straightforward, more manageable. This felt as if my body didn’t fit. I spent the night constantly shifting positions, moving from the bed to the floor to the couch and grabbing sleep in twenty minute increments. In the morning I got on a virtual visit with my Doctor. I suggested kidney stone. She agreed. A cupful of pee later seemed to confirm it. By late afternoon Saturday, my symptoms had all but disappeared, though it took me another week to fully recover from the physical stress.  By early October, I started to feel some pain in my crotchal region coupled with some mild swelling. Once again, I saw my Doctor – this time in person. She surmised that I never passed the stone and it was on the move. Not an atypical phenomenon. A “stone search” via CT sca

My Phreaking Phosphorous

It’s my own fault. I’d been getting cocky, telling anyone who asked how trouble-free my infusions had been, tempting both fate and the Gods of Chemo. My typical schedule on Chemo Day sends me to the Lab first where they draw blood and access my port. Then, I head upstairs to see Doctor Hu. She usually has the lab results before the end of our appointment. Lastly, it’s to one of two Infusion Centers where I make myself at home for the next 4 ½-hours. Yesterday, 10 nurses had called out sick, and the Lab was pretty backed up. (There are no phlebotomists at the Levine Cancer Institute. Only RN’s draw blood because of the number of patients with ports.) So, Doctor Hu could see some of the results, but not all before I headed to Infusion. We had already started my Chemo regimen when the Doctor called down to say that my phosphorus was low. Evidently, I had lost my glow. Now, because I am my father’s son, I immediately did some research to try and assess the culprit. I needed to know what vi