Skip to main content

The Longest Drive Ever

"The long Drive home" by johnsdigitaldreams.com is licensed under Creative Commons
You know when you’re driving, and it’s a trip you’ve made dozens, even hundreds of times before? You’re heading home from college, or to see a relative, or a girlfriend. You know the drive so well, that you can kind of turn off and only use about 65% of your brain. You’re making great time. It’s a 5 ½ hour trip and the first 4 hours fly by. Then, for no reason other than the vagaries of the lonesome road, a switch flips, time comes to a halt, and the last 90 minutes of that all-too familiar drive become interminable. You know you’re still driving, and your brain tells you that you’re still making forward progress, but there is no discernible evidence to confirm it despite the filmstrip continuing to disappear behind you. That last bit of the drive to get you home takes for-fucking-ever. The destination is just ahead of you, but has never been further away. That’s the part of Cancer I’m in. That’s why I’m up at 1:00am writing at the end of a long day that started by waking up at 4:00am for absolutely no reason. That’s why the Ambien I took 45 minutes ago is having about as much effect as a Tic Tac.

I got great news from my PET scan last week, and I’m over halfway through Chemo. (Just two treatments to go!) Yet despite those clearly celebratory milestones, I’m in the foulest of moods.  The incessant beat of the cancerous war drum is steady, and right now, at this time, over these past few days, I’m fucking over it. I want that last bit of road between Greensboro and Charlotte to pass under my car until I catch a glimpse of a familiar skyline.

I miss sunny-side up eggs. I’ve never understood the point of a cooked yolk. That golden embryonic goodness oozing on to my plate is the breakfast that warms me: a breakfast sandwich where the yolk is cooked enough to still have viscosity, but seeps its way to the outer edges of your bread like lava; egg-in-the-hole, where you fry the egg in the center of a piece of good bread that simultaneously soaks up and supports the trickling ova innards; or the simple one-eyed chicken bullet staring up at you from a plate.

I miss sitting in a theatre. I derive from the theatre that which I assume the faithful derive from religion: community, ritual, better living through story-telling, a secret language, gathering together to bear witness as the physical becomes meta-physical. It’s not just what I do for a living, it’s where I find any semblance of spiritual fulfillment that exists in my cynical worldview. 

I miss whiskey, and the chiropractor, and the kind of dusty smell only found in a used bookstore. 

I’m so sick of my house I would cut another lymph node out of my neck myself with a rusty paper clip and a ball peen hammer just to spend a couple of hours with a grocery cart in the aisles of Harris Teeter.

I’m sick of these dogs who sit under my desk every day as I work, loudly protecting me from the falling leaves, UPS delivery guys, and the hordes of toddlers that walk by our house.

I’m sick of the shitty little symptoms. Not the big ones that you see coming and can take meds for, but the annoyances like tingly fingers and confused taste buds and the general feeling of low-grade crappy that, unrelenting as it may be, I can ignore if I try hard enough, but I’m tired of trying hard enough.

I’m sick of vegetarian lasagna, and I feel shitty for saying that because so many lovely people are bringing us food, and it’s generous and helpful and incredibly appreciated, and who doesn’t love a good lasagna?

There is more to say. I’ve already deleted an entire paragraph about how Chemo isn’t the end of Cancer, which suggests that I’m in the self-pitying phase of disease maintenance. I guess that was evident over the weekend when I sent Shawnna and N’shama out for cheesecake. (I’m not gonna lie. It helped.) So, even though I’ve been acting like a horse’s ass for the past several days, I’m going to allow myself this weekend of whining without judgement. It’s been hard on my family, but I think they’ll forgive me… eventually. I may even reserve the right to whine and whinge again before all of this is over. If/When I do, please invite Shawnna out for a glass of wine, or a really good Old Fashioned, preferably to an establishment with cheesecake to-go. And, if my whimpering becomes too self-indulgent, I know there are those of you reading this, and you know who you are, as well, who will jump in a car and drive from your destination to mine simply to punch me in the throat and tell me to get over myself. I’ll be waiting for you when you get here, but be forewarned, those last 90 minutes of driving time are kind of a bitch. 


Comments

  1. You're forgiven ahead of time home slice. I'll be up there for that throat punch soon anyways though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FROM: Mollie ---Extremely well stated, Cuz, with fact and emotion that many of us having been down that road would have loved to be able to compose. I promise you that 6 months from now, today will be a distant nightmare, far gone enough to separate to the far corners of your mind. You know, the place where you put things you remember; but not fondly or often. Two more till you hear that Bell chime. It is a beautiful sound. Imagine it till you hear it for real. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell the Mouse to Bring Me Some Juice

So, the other day Shawnna and I were getting ready for bed, standing shoulder-to-shoulder in the bathroom, worshipping before the great American altar that is a porcelain double vanity, and performing our respective evening ablutions. We became synchronous, unconsciously so, but synchronous nonetheless. She had her handful of nighttime pills and was popping them one at a time. I was doubling and tripling mine in random combinations. I have more than she, so we were still keeping time… like a couple of pharmacological Art Blakeys. An epiphanic clarity came over me; a clarity so palpable that I had no choice but to give it voice, “This is a stupid fucking ritual.”  Tomorrow is gonna be a long week. At 8:20 I have a CT of my abdomen and pelvis with contrast . I think “with contrast” is when they shoot you full of radioactive fizzy water that makes it feel like you’re peeing in your pants when you’re really not. At 10:00, I have labs. Since I still have my central line port, this is relati

Everything Up to Today, or how John Cougar Mellencamp gave me Cancer

Everything Up to Today Thursday, September 16, 2021 – Night I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. It wasn’t the kind of uncomfortable that could be fixed by the fluffing of pillows. I wasn’t in pain. Pain would have been more straightforward, more manageable. This felt as if my body didn’t fit. I spent the night constantly shifting positions, moving from the bed to the floor to the couch and grabbing sleep in twenty minute increments. In the morning I got on a virtual visit with my Doctor. I suggested kidney stone. She agreed. A cupful of pee later seemed to confirm it. By late afternoon Saturday, my symptoms had all but disappeared, though it took me another week to fully recover from the physical stress.  By early October, I started to feel some pain in my crotchal region coupled with some mild swelling. Once again, I saw my Doctor – this time in person. She surmised that I never passed the stone and it was on the move. Not an atypical phenomenon. A “stone search” via CT sca

My Phreaking Phosphorous

It’s my own fault. I’d been getting cocky, telling anyone who asked how trouble-free my infusions had been, tempting both fate and the Gods of Chemo. My typical schedule on Chemo Day sends me to the Lab first where they draw blood and access my port. Then, I head upstairs to see Doctor Hu. She usually has the lab results before the end of our appointment. Lastly, it’s to one of two Infusion Centers where I make myself at home for the next 4 ½-hours. Yesterday, 10 nurses had called out sick, and the Lab was pretty backed up. (There are no phlebotomists at the Levine Cancer Institute. Only RN’s draw blood because of the number of patients with ports.) So, Doctor Hu could see some of the results, but not all before I headed to Infusion. We had already started my Chemo regimen when the Doctor called down to say that my phosphorus was low. Evidently, I had lost my glow. Now, because I am my father’s son, I immediately did some research to try and assess the culprit. I needed to know what vi