Skip to main content

Zuzu's Petals

I like to read. It’s something I do every day. When I climb in to bed at night, I read before I turn off the light. It’s a rule. When I’m acutely tired and my heavy-lidded eyesight is filtered through more lash than ball, I still force myself to squeeze out at least one sentence. As I said, it’s a rule, and there just aren’t too many of those I choose to apply to my life.

Steven’ Rules to Live By:

  1. Read every night before turning off the light.
  2. Early is on time. On time is late. Don’t be late.
  3. Commandments 5 – 7
  4. Never invade Russia in the winter.
  5. There is no variety of sliced meat on bread for which mayonnaise is an appropriate condiment.
  6. Don’t be an asshole.

The only thing about reading I like better than reading is amassing reading material. My wife reads on a Kindle. I don’t. It’s too smooth. Reading should involve texture.

A good used bookstore is among my favorite places on earth. There is no better way to kill two hours on a weekend afternoon than sifting through the shelves of a used bookstore. Used bookstore dust has a smell unique among the dust varieties. It is a distinctive sense memory that explodes the moment I walk through the door of any such establishment regardless of its location, or whether I’ve been there before.

Ninety-percent of my library is non-fiction: memoirs and biographies, pop-culture history and criticism, Jewish culture, theatre (history, criticism and scripts). One sub-genre that I particularly enjoy is the culinary memoir, the bastards of Bourdain. (I once found an autographed edition of Anthony Bourdain’s “Kitchen Confidential” at a used bookstore for $9.25. Better than that, in a used bookstore in Eureka, California I discovered a signed copy of Pearl Bailey’s autobiography in the $1.00 bargain bin.) I imagine I’m drawn to the culinary memoir because I grew up in the restaurant business, or at least adjacent to the restaurant business. Two different sets of aunts/uncles ran legendary restaurants: Mike’s Colley Deli in Norfolk, VA and the Hardware Store Restaurant in Charlottesville, VA. Currently, I’m reading “Stuffed: Adventures of a Restaurant Family,” by Patricia Volk. It is the book that accompanied me to my last Chemo treatment, and by “last” I mean both most recent and final.

My Chemo sessions generally last four-and-a-half hours, and I manage to read for the first two before they give me the meds that make me not care. This past Tuesday, at my concluding Chemo, I was reading “Stuffed” and came across a word completely new to me. It wasn’t a multisyllabic behemoth of a word, but simple, concise and somewhat lyrical:

  • Labile (lāˌbīl) - of or characterized by emotions that are easily aroused or freely expressed, and that tend to alter quickly and spontaneously

The perfect word at the perfect time.

As my final Chemo session loomed, people kept asking me if I was "excited". I don’t think it was really asked as a question, but more as an expression of the questioner’s excitement on my behalf, and a yearning for confirmation. The problem is that I wasn’t then excited, nor am I now. I was a lot of things, but I wouldn’t count excited among them. I was, well, labile. I went from weepy to apprehensive, unsure to resigned. I know why the people who care about me wanted me to be excited, and wanted to share in that assumed excitement, but that’s not where I was. I felt guilty about not being what they wanted me to be, and what, by all accounts, I should have been, and that just pissed me off. I didn’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but through this whole process I’ve had zero interest in telling people what they want to hear. I have rejected the notion that I am somehow responsible for other people's relationship to my disease. When someone has asked me how I’m doing, I’ve told them.

I kind of sailed through my first three Chemo sessions. There were side-effects to be sure, but they were relatively easy to manage. With each subsequent treatment since my third, however, the side-effects have gotten progressively worse, and I’ve gotten progressively puny. Rather than bask in the milestone of finishing Chemo, I was thinking about the two weeks that follow. My infusion was over in four-and-a-half hours, but Chemo doesn't end when the infusion does. I’m still in it. It’s hard to see past that, and relatively impossible for anyone else to understand. 

You may be familiar with the tradition of ringing a bell at the conclusion of your last Chemo session. The wonderful nurses at Levine Cancer Institute brought me a bell on Tuesday, the kind of handbell with which Laura Ingalls was summoned to school. The nurses stood around and cheered me as I rang it, the rapturous ringing expected of me. I thanked them and smiled, and did, indeed, feel happy in that moment, but let us not forget my inherent lability. I walked down the long hallway of the Infusion Center, and near the door there was another bell affixed to the wall, the kind you find at Trader Joe’s. No one else was around, and I just gave it one tepid ring for myself. My eyes welled up and I walked to the elevator. 

I will get a PET scan toward the end of April. If everything looks as we expect it to look, I will enter the maintenance Chemo section of treatment. Every two months, or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first, I will have an infusion. It will consist of just one drug, Rituximab, instead of the five I’ve been receiving, and no ill side-effects are expected. Best of all, there will be no more cancer-induced house arrest. I can rejoin the world even with my compromised immune system. (In the pre-pandemic days, people on maintenance Chemo took cruises to Miami Beach and didn’t even catch cholera.) The maintenance phase could last up to two years and is necessary because of the two types of Lymphoma I have, Follicular – the lazy one, has a tendency to transform into Diffuse Large B-cell – the aggressive one. The maintenance treatments are to keep the Follicular from getting too full of itself.

So, excitement may come. Perhaps when I am able to visit a used bookstore again, undoubtedly when I am able to return to the theatre. For now, I’m focused on getting through the next two weeks, but please know how appreciative I am for your excitement on my behalf even if I’m not quite there yet. So, as not to be a
complete downer, I will reach into my pocket, pull out a handful of detached petals, and leave you with this iconic quote from Zuzu Bailey, “Every time a bell rings, some bald-headed dude finishes his last Chemo treatment.” 


"It's A Wonderful Life (1946)" by twm1340 is marked with CC BY-SA 2.0.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell the Mouse to Bring Me Some Juice

So, the other day Shawnna and I were getting ready for bed, standing shoulder-to-shoulder in the bathroom, worshipping before the great American altar that is a porcelain double vanity, and performing our respective evening ablutions. We became synchronous, unconsciously so, but synchronous nonetheless. She had her handful of nighttime pills and was popping them one at a time. I was doubling and tripling mine in random combinations. I have more than she, so we were still keeping time… like a couple of pharmacological Art Blakeys. An epiphanic clarity came over me; a clarity so palpable that I had no choice but to give it voice, “This is a stupid fucking ritual.”  Tomorrow is gonna be a long week. At 8:20 I have a CT of my abdomen and pelvis with contrast . I think “with contrast” is when they shoot you full of radioactive fizzy water that makes it feel like you’re peeing in your pants when you’re really not. At 10:00, I have labs. Since I still have my central line port, this is relati

Everything Up to Today, or how John Cougar Mellencamp gave me Cancer

Everything Up to Today Thursday, September 16, 2021 – Night I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. It wasn’t the kind of uncomfortable that could be fixed by the fluffing of pillows. I wasn’t in pain. Pain would have been more straightforward, more manageable. This felt as if my body didn’t fit. I spent the night constantly shifting positions, moving from the bed to the floor to the couch and grabbing sleep in twenty minute increments. In the morning I got on a virtual visit with my Doctor. I suggested kidney stone. She agreed. A cupful of pee later seemed to confirm it. By late afternoon Saturday, my symptoms had all but disappeared, though it took me another week to fully recover from the physical stress.  By early October, I started to feel some pain in my crotchal region coupled with some mild swelling. Once again, I saw my Doctor – this time in person. She surmised that I never passed the stone and it was on the move. Not an atypical phenomenon. A “stone search” via CT sca

My Phreaking Phosphorous

It’s my own fault. I’d been getting cocky, telling anyone who asked how trouble-free my infusions had been, tempting both fate and the Gods of Chemo. My typical schedule on Chemo Day sends me to the Lab first where they draw blood and access my port. Then, I head upstairs to see Doctor Hu. She usually has the lab results before the end of our appointment. Lastly, it’s to one of two Infusion Centers where I make myself at home for the next 4 ½-hours. Yesterday, 10 nurses had called out sick, and the Lab was pretty backed up. (There are no phlebotomists at the Levine Cancer Institute. Only RN’s draw blood because of the number of patients with ports.) So, Doctor Hu could see some of the results, but not all before I headed to Infusion. We had already started my Chemo regimen when the Doctor called down to say that my phosphorus was low. Evidently, I had lost my glow. Now, because I am my father’s son, I immediately did some research to try and assess the culprit. I needed to know what vi