Skip to main content

Tell the Mouse to Bring Me Some Juice

So, the other day Shawnna and I were getting ready for bed, standing shoulder-to-shoulder in the bathroom, worshipping before the great American altar that is a porcelain double vanity, and performing our respective evening ablutions. We became synchronous, unconsciously so, but synchronous nonetheless. She had her handful of nighttime pills and was popping them one at a time. I was doubling and tripling mine in random combinations. I have more than she, so we were still keeping time… like a couple of pharmacological Art Blakeys. An epiphanic clarity came over me; a clarity so palpable that I had no choice but to give it voice, “This is a stupid fucking ritual.” 

Tomorrow is gonna be a long week. At 8:20 I have a CT of my abdomen and pelvis with contrast. I think “with contrast” is when they shoot you full of radioactive fizzy water that makes it feel like you’re peeing in your pants when you’re really not. At 10:00, I have labs. Since I still have my central line port, this is relatively easy, especially since, at 10:00, I’ll miss the morning rush. Then, at 11:00, it’s upstairs for an office visit with my Doctor and her overly-solicitous receptionist. The Medical Assistant who takes my vitals, knowing that I just came from bloodwork, will ask me, “Would you like something to drink?” 

I’ll answer, “Some juice would be nice.” 

She’ll then tell me that they have apple, cranberry and fruit punch to which I’ll reply, “Apple please.” 

“One, or two?”

“I think two,” and she’ll disappear for 3 ½ minutes to retrieve my two little jugs of juice with the peel-away tin foil lids. 

After my Doctor’s visit, at which she’ll tell me my lab results and read my scan, I’ll go to the Infusion Center for my semi-monthly maintenance Chemo. I hate it when I have a scan the same day as the trinity of Lab, Doctor and Holy Chemo. It’s too long of a day, and I’m always afraid that Imaging won’t get the scans to my Doctor in time. I still have it in my mind that Gus-Gus and Jaq are in the back of the Imaging Center toiling away to develop the film in hopes that I can make it to the Cancer Ball in time to dance with the Prince. I like having my scan the day before, but at least this way I get to go to the Imaging Center by the Infusion Center instead of the one between the shopping mall and the Whole Foods. 
I shouldn’t have a preference about any of this. Nobody should possess the experience necessary to form a strong opinion about when they prefer to have a CT of abdomen and pelvis with contrast in relation to their semi-monthly infusion of Chemo. Nobody should know when rush hour at the lab is; nobody should be able to recite the juice menu at their Oncologist’s office by heart; and nobody should be able to navigate to more than one Imaging Center without the use of Google Maps. 

It’s been almost a year since I got a clean PET scan and entered the maintenance phase. If we stick to the original plan, I have another year to go. When I go to the Infusion Center tomorrow, I’ll be placed in a chair off to the side, relegated to the room’s perimeter. I used to be in the center of the room, in the middle of all the action. Most of the time, I would even get one of the private rooms with a curtain and more than one nurse "just checking in..." Now, I’m on the periphery. I’m still there, and still commanding the occasional attention of nurses, but they have to go a little more out of their way to get to me. 

My place in that room is cancer’s place in my life. Present, but on the periphery. It still commands attention, but sometimes I have to go a little out of my way to give it. Not tomorrow, though. Tomorrow it will be front and center, and it’s a stupid fucking ritual.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the update Steven, and for making interesting reading of a gut-punch reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment is from Troy.

      Delete
    2. And why were you awake at 5:30 in the morning?

      Delete
  2. I hear you, Steven, and can relate all too well. Congrats on coming up to a year in the clear. I wish you a clean scan tomorrow. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear the good news. Reservations are now open for a summer visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everything Up to Today, or how John Cougar Mellencamp gave me Cancer

Everything Up to Today Thursday, September 16, 2021 – Night I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. It wasn’t the kind of uncomfortable that could be fixed by the fluffing of pillows. I wasn’t in pain. Pain would have been more straightforward, more manageable. This felt as if my body didn’t fit. I spent the night constantly shifting positions, moving from the bed to the floor to the couch and grabbing sleep in twenty minute increments. In the morning I got on a virtual visit with my Doctor. I suggested kidney stone. She agreed. A cupful of pee later seemed to confirm it. By late afternoon Saturday, my symptoms had all but disappeared, though it took me another week to fully recover from the physical stress.  By early October, I started to feel some pain in my crotchal region coupled with some mild swelling. Once again, I saw my Doctor – this time in person. She surmised that I never passed the stone and it was on the move. Not an atypical phenomenon. A “stone search” via CT sca

My Phreaking Phosphorous

It’s my own fault. I’d been getting cocky, telling anyone who asked how trouble-free my infusions had been, tempting both fate and the Gods of Chemo. My typical schedule on Chemo Day sends me to the Lab first where they draw blood and access my port. Then, I head upstairs to see Doctor Hu. She usually has the lab results before the end of our appointment. Lastly, it’s to one of two Infusion Centers where I make myself at home for the next 4 ½-hours. Yesterday, 10 nurses had called out sick, and the Lab was pretty backed up. (There are no phlebotomists at the Levine Cancer Institute. Only RN’s draw blood because of the number of patients with ports.) So, Doctor Hu could see some of the results, but not all before I headed to Infusion. We had already started my Chemo regimen when the Doctor called down to say that my phosphorus was low. Evidently, I had lost my glow. Now, because I am my father’s son, I immediately did some research to try and assess the culprit. I needed to know what vi